What is unaccompanied minor service (UMNR)?
Young children traveling without a parent or legal guardian are considered to be unaccompanied minors. Most airlines provide a service to assist these children from their point of departure to their final destination.
What age does my child have to be to qualify as an unaccompanied minor?
The service is mandatory for children ages 5-11 traveling without an adult who is at least 15 years old. Children ages 12-15 years are not required to travel as unaccompanied minors, but the service is optional for this age group as well.
Children under 5 years of age are not allowed to travel unless accompanied by an adult who is at least 15 years old.
What are the fees associated with this service?
- Domestic Flights: 55 AUD/NZD each way
- International Flights: 95 AUD/NZD, 145 FJD, 160 TOP, 180 WST, 550 SBD, 2,400 THB, 7,450 VUV, or 935,000 IDR each way
Are there any flight restrictions?
- Virgin Australia will carry a maximum of six unaccompanied minors per flight.
- Unaccompanied minors cannot be booked on connecting flights.
How do I book this service
Contact the Guest Contact Centre (internet discount fare will be honored) and provide the following information:
- Booking password (this password must be quoted by any caller wishing to make future changes to the flight details, or drop off, and pick up details.)
- Child's name, age, and gender
- Sender's name, address, phone number, and relationship to child (and if the Sender is not the parent or legal guardian, their age)
- Receiver's name, address, phone number and relationship to child (and if the Receiver is not the parent or legal guardian, their age)
- Any special instructions (allergies, medical conditions, fear of flying, etc.)